My Top Summer Anime of 2016

October 22, 2016

Hello, it's me again! First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone who has visited my blog during these past few days. I've been getting pretty huge traffic especially on my last two posts specifically my post about Kuromukuro, my "Top Summer 2016 Anime Openings" and my "Winter Watchlist"! These 3 posts just skyrocketed to the top spots of my Popular Posts in just a matter of 2 - 3 days! I never really expected to receive such amount of traffic for just a short duration! Thank you times a million!

Anyways, as you probably have known, the first month of Fall season is wrapping up and I still haven't posted my overall recommendations from summer last season! Unfortunately, I couldn't finish watching all of the shows in time but I firmly do have an idea on which shows do I truly recommend from that season, so I'm here to give you all of what I like right now.

We will be dividing this post into two categories, the lighthearted shows and the more plot-driven shows. It is in order to organize the content since I have watched a good mixture of those types of shows.

*If you have read my post on Kuromukuro, I do have a bunch of other Summer 2016 highlights that I wasn't able to write about. This is the perfect opportunity for me to tell what those are here. I will simply mention it being another of my summer 2016 highlights as I go through.*

Let us start with the light-hearted ones shall we.

First on the list is.

1. Saiki kusuo no Psi-nan

 I have only watched a few episodes from this show so far but every episode got me laughing so hard at the comedic content this show pulls off! Totally recommended to those who just want to have a laugh
"Saiki Kusuo has a wide array of superpowers at his command, including telepathy and telekinesis. This might sound awesome, but, in Kusuo's experience, superpowers are not all they're cracked up to be. He tries to live a normal life, despite his annoying abilities."

2. Amaama to Inazuma

One of the cutest shows I've watched! The father and daughter relationship is so touching and adorable. I'm not afraid to admit it but I actually got teary-eyed at one point in the first episode.

"Kouhei Inuzuka is a teacher who has been caring for his little daughter on his own since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so he and his daughter Tsumugi have been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out Kotori is often alone since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together."

3. Cheer Danshi!! (Cheer Boys!!)

(A Summer 2016 Highlight)

It's about two bestfriends who started their own cheering group consisting of only male members. This anime is such a refreshing sight to watch as this is the first time I've seen an anime like this. I highly recommend you all to check this one out!
 

"Disheartened with judo, college student Haruki Bando was invited by his childhood friend Kazuma Hashimoto to create "BREAKERS", an unprecedented boys' cheerleading team. Those that came to join all were very characteristic in nature: argumentative Mizoguchi, voracious Ton, frivolous Kansai boys Gen and Ichiro, and Sho who has cheerleading experience."

4. Fukigen na Mononokean

The first show of summer that I've decided to watch. It's all about a group of two young men who worked together to try and exorcise all of the youkai who needs their help. This show is actually reminiscent to the Natsume Yuujinchou series so fans of that show should give this one a try! This show is one of the most endearing shows I've watched during summer. It is also one of the most cutest shows! Argh I miss my Fuzzy!!

Ashiya has spent the first seven days of high school stuck in the infirmary because of a youkai attaching itself to him. He ends up asking the owner of a small tea room called the "Mononokean" for help. This is a tale involving the very morose owner of Mononokean guiding the youkai that happened to wander into this world go to the next world.

And the most, personally, recommended "lighthearted" show from summer 2016 is...

5. New Game!!

 (A Summer 2016 Highlight)

Another refreshing show brought to us by summer 2016! It talks about a high school graduate, Aoba, who decided to get a job at a gaming company who created one of her favorite childhood games. This show has the "yuri" feels! So fans of that might like this as well. It's a really funny and lighthearted show overall. I highly recommend that you should check this one out.

The main character Suzukaze Aoba graduates from high school and joins a game company. The person who made the game that Aoba loved as a grade-schooler just happens to be Aoba's senior at the company. The story follows girls who work and aspire at the Eaglejump company.

Now that we're done with the lighthearted ones, let's start with the more plot-driven shows that sprouted last season.

Starting off with the obvious, we have...


1. Orange

I love this show so much! I've read the manga already but this show still got me in the heart! The soundtrack was astounding, all of the background music was so memorable that it enhanced all of the necessary feels a watcher must feel when watching this show. The characters were all likeable as well, especially Takako Chino! That girl is so awesome. 

One day, Naho Takamiya receives a letter written to herself from ten years in the future. As Naho reads on, the letter recites the exact events of the day, including the transfer of a new student into her class named Kakeru Naruse. The Naho from ten years later repeatedly states that she has many regrets, and she wants to fix these by making sure the Naho from the past can make the right decisions—especially regarding Kakeru. What's more shocking is that she discovers that ten years later, Kakeru will no longer be with them. Future Naho asks her to watch over him closely.

2. Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin (Alderamin on the Sky)

(A Summer 2016 Highlight)
 
I'd call this one the dark horse during the summer season! I'm sadly one of those people who overlooked this show while I was scrolling through shows to watch from summer 2016. After a few weeks through summer did I actually gave this one a shot and I'm so glad I did! The first episode got me hooked. One of the things that I liked about in this show are the characters! Every single one of them was interesting especially the main character, Ikta, who broke down the "rule" that a leader for the war must always be diligent and showed that a lazy guy like him can even be a better leader than the the most industrious one in the bunch. Just watch it and see that he actually is a pretty relatable character.

The world is thrown into chaos when the Katjvarna empire takes arms against the Republic of Kioka. Our hero, Ikuta, detests war but ultimately has no choice but to become a High Grade Military Officer to defend his land. No one could have ever imagined that this lazy womanizer would eventually become the hero everyone needed.



3. 91 Days

(A Summer 2016 Highlight)

One of the summer shows that I placed on hold after watching it's first few episodes thinking "Man, I can't watch one episode of this show every week." and decided that I should just wait for it to finish before I can start binge-watching it. This show is so dark and can be so depressing so if you're not into those types of things, this may not be your cup of tea. I loved the story telling in this one! It had a pace that was slow enough to match the mood and tone of the whole story. Hands down one of the best shows last season. For some reason though, I wasn't actually quite satisfied with the ending but nonetheless it was really good!

I truly recommend this one.

During Prohibition, the law held no power and the mafia ruled the town. The story takes place in Lawless, a town thriving on black market sales of illicitly brewed liquor. Avilio returns to Lawless after some time away, following the murder of his family in a mafia dispute there.


Now, there are two shows that I truly loved that started airing in spring but actually went on through summer 2016 so I still technically consider those a part of the summer lineup so here they are.

Take note, they are still part of the "plot-driven" shows so the numbering shall continue on from 3.

4. Kuromukuro


One sentence is enough... This show is truly underrated.

During the construction of the Kurobe Dam, an ancient artifact was discovered, and so the United Nations Kurobe Research Institute was established. Intellectuals from all over the world gathered to study the object, and the children of those researchers attend Mt. Tate International Senior High School, including the institute head's daughter, Yukina Shirahane. In the summer of 2016, a lone samurai once again awakens.



5. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu

(A Summer 2016 Highlight) 

And of course, you probably would have guessed this last one. I mean, who wouldn't right? This show is non-arguably a candidate to be one of the best shows this year!

When Subaru Natsuki leaves the convenience store, the last thing he expects is to be wrenched from his everyday life and dropped into a fantasy world. Things aren't looking good for the bewildered teenager, however: not long after his arrival, he is attacked by some thugs; armed with only a bag of groceries and a now useless cell phone, he is quickly beaten to a pulp. Fortunately, a mysterious beauty named Satella, in hot pursuit after the one who stole her insignia, happens upon Subaru and saves him. In order to thank the honest and kindhearted girl, Subaru offers to help in her search, and later that night, he even finds the whereabouts of that which she seeks. But unbeknownst to them, a much darker force stalks the pair from the shadows, and just minutes after locating the insignia, Subaru and Satella are brutally murdered. However, Subaru immediately reawakens to a familiar scene—confronted by the same group of thugs, meeting Satella all over again—the enigma deepens as history inexplicably repeats itself.



Now there are a few shows that I haven't fully watched yet but I decided to put them here since majority of the people I see online are raving about these shows and these are.

1. Mob Psycho 100

Kageyama Shigeo (a.k.a. "Mob") is a 8th grader with psychic abilities. He could bend spoons and lift objects with his mind from a young age, but he slowly began to withhold from using his abilities in public due to the negative attention he kept receiving. Now, the only thing he wants is to become friends with a girl in his class, Tsubomi. With his psychic "mentor" (who has no psychic powers), he continues his daily life, attempting to realize his purpose in life.


2. ReLIFE
 
Dismissed as a hopeless loser by those around him, 27-year-old Arata Kaizaki bounces around from one job to another after quitting his first company. His unremarkable existence takes a sharp turn when he meets Ryou Yoake, a member of the ReLife Research Institute, who offers Arata the opportunity to change his life for the better with the help of a mysterious pill. Taking it without a second thought, Arata awakens the next day to find that his appearance has reverted to that of a 17-year-old. Arata soon learns that he is now the subject of a unique experiment and must attend high school as a transfer student for one year. Though he initially believes it will be a cinch due to his superior life experience, Arata is proven horribly wrong on his first day: he flunks all his tests, is completely out of shape, and can't keep up with the new school policies that have cropped up in the last 10 years. Furthermore, Ryou has been assigned to observe him, bringing Arata endless annoyance. ReLIFE follows Arata's struggle to adjust to his hectic new lifestyle and avoid repeating his past mistakes, all while slowly discovering more about his fellow classmates.

Now there is only one more show left that I feel like recommending. This next show is NOT recommended to the general watchers of anime but is more recommended and aimed towards my fellow fujoshi's and fudanshi who love shounen-ai and b.l. just like me

And that is...

 Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu
Sakaguchi is a high school boy and also a "fudanshi" who loves boys-love stories. He hangs out with his friends, a fujoshi named Rumi, his gay friend Yuujirou, fellow fudanshi Daigo, and his "normal" friend Nakamura.

Thank you so much for reading this post and I'll see you guys next time!!

What are YOUR favorite summer 2016 shows?



Authors Note:

 1. I'm so into the Magi series at the moment! Send help. 

2. There is also this one show I'm currently watching that I truly adore so much and that I feel like not sharing it to anyone. It's like my secret personal treasure! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

About me

Greetings, I am Jefferson and welcome to my anime blog. This anime blog is where I'll be housing all of my reviews and recommendations for anime shows.

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *